Wednesday, November 26, 2014

To Mother

Dear Mother of Mine



My sweet mother, so dear to my heart
How fondly I can remember you still
You've gone from my side, we did depart
Now you're resting on top of the hill

Even now I can see your hands and feet
Swiftly moving to provide for us all
 Cooking, baking bread and some sweet
Just to keep us under control

You were with us when life revealed pain
About things we were quite unaware
You whispered gently, but with firm restraint
And kept us away from life's hidden snare

Often when nobody else was around
In the quietness of each new day
Gently to us came a whispering sound
As down on your knees you would pray


In bed, as you tucked us in with love
You would teach us your humble prayers
And you would come right from above
If we cried, after dreaming nightmares
  
Your hard work never came to an end
From early morning until late at night
tomorrow is near, as the present did relent
Before you could finally turn off the light

Your diligent work has paid off at last
For now in my heart I can clearly see
Through all these years our bond did hold fast
Once so precious between you and me

I wrote this poem in remembrance of you
A dear mother, who is not here anymore
To let you know that I appreciate all you did do
As one of seven children, whom you did adore




Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you. Deuteronomy 5:16


In memory of Catharina Schuurman-Melder 1910 - 1998


Copyright © Dr.Trudy Veerman, 1996, 2014. All Rights Reserved

No comments: